Musings, Written on Infinite Tape

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

New Features in StarTeam

John Sileski talked a lot about the 2005 and 2005 R2 features. I already knew those, so I'm going to skip them. There are some good things coming, though.

The VS2005 integration is 'coming soon'. I'll find out more tonight. There will be a stronger integration with Test Director and Quality Center.

There is a huge new focus on the SCM functionality. For the past year, they've been focused on doing integrations with the other Borland products. Now, they turn back to the core. The next major release will come next year. Atomic transactions and commit sets. Better view merging tools. Eliminating the Win32 client, and bringing all the functionality to the new multi-platform client. They are running a field test, and I intend on getting involved. Of course, if I do, there are likely things that I can't say anymore.

Oh, and they're replacing Visual Diff and Merge. They're developing a brand new tool, based on some heavy-duty algorithms (some of which they licensed), and accessible via the SDK. It's about time!

Question: Will there be updates to the EA workflow designer?
Answer: No, but there may be new features introduced as part of CoreSDP.

Question: Now that there's a .NET SDK, can we do custom forms in .NET rather than Java?
Answer: Not yet, but we plan on fixing that.

Question: Are you really killing off the Win32 client?
Answer: Yes

That last one left me with some trepidation, but I got the 2005 R2 version of the CPC, and they've fixed a lot of my issues with it. Maybe I'll try using it for a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home